Fine wines are being produced on the site of Marlborough’s first-recorded winemaker.
Issue 3935 8th October 2015
The first vines in the modern era of Marlborough wine were planted by Montana in 1973, but the region’s first wines flowed almost a century earlier. In 2008, Marlborough honoured its first-recorded winemaker, David Herd of Auntsfield, with the unveiling of a statue at Blenheim Airport, the gateway to the region. Today, fine wines still flow from Auntsfield. Herd, a Scotsman, planted his vineyard in 1873 in the foothills of the Wither Hills, on the south side of the Wairau Valley. Auntsfield’s rivulet of sweet red wine even survived the founder’s death in 1905 …