• Richard Sutherland-Smith
    June 1, 2016 at 8:43 am #27591

Why is it that NZ Gewurts. are not nearly as good as the ones we have drunk in Alsace. Ours do not have the flavour and have an unpleasant bitter aftertaste.
    Alsace ones are like drinking nectar!
    I try to like out NZ wines, and most are of a good or great standard, but out Gewurtztraminers just don’t seem to make the grade.

June 2, 2016 at 3:48 am #27592

Hi Richard
    A touch of bitterness is common in Gewurztraminer, reflecting a natural high level of phenolics in its deeply coloured skins – that’s why the wine is typically made slightly sweet. I was lucky enough to visit Alsace four years ago. We spent the days walking through grand cru vineyards and the evenings exploring the local cuisine, which opened my eyes to how delicious and versatile Gewurztraminer can be at the dinner table. Matawhero, in Gisborne, made this country’s first top-flight Gewurztraminer in 1976, so some winemakers have long experience with this classic variety. The top labels, which to me don’t show obvious bitterness, include Dry River, Framingham, Greystone, Johanneshof, Lawson’s Dry Hills, Seifried Winemaker’s Collection, Spy Valley Envoy, Villa Maria Single Vineyard Ihumatao and Vinoptima.

thom85@gmail.com
    June 13, 2016 at 3:39 am #27645

Richard, have you tried the top-tiered Gewurtztraminer by Lawson’s Dry Hills? Under ‘The Pioneer’ label. It’s rich, slightly sweet & utterly delicious! Give it a go!

Michael Law
    June 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm #27647

I am a fan of Gewurtztraminer; the Irwins won me over in the 1970s. Villa Maria also made good Gewurtz back then, with Matawhero grapes, as I recall. Today, we buy a supply of every Johanneshof vintage which we cellar for a few years. From time to time, we try other brands. Lawson Dry Hills is consistently good. But for us, Johanneshof rocks, year after year.

Michael Law

June 28, 2016 at 10:53 pm #27648

Hi Michael
    I agree. I tasted the 2014 Johanneshof Cellars Gewurztraminer just last month. Exotically perfumed, rich and soft, it’s delicious right now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.